REQUEST FOR PROPOSAL: Program Management
December 19, 2017
Your firm is invited to submit a proposal to provide the West Virginia Coalition for Technology-Based Economic Development, Inc. (dba TechConnectWV) with the necessary information to contract for Program Management Services.
The intent of this Request for Proposal (RFP) is to identify and select an experienced program management consultant or firm that will be responsible for leading deployment of the Scope of Work for NextUp West Virginia, overseeing day-to-day operations of programs and activities under the grant, collecting and measuring data for accurate assessment of impact, and other duties as need.
The submittal, consisting of an electronic copy of your proposal, should be sent via email to email@example.com with the subject line, “Program Management–(Name of Your Company),” and should be received no later than 5:00 pm Eastern Standard Time, January 12, 2018 by TechConnectWV.
Nothing herein is intended to exclude any responsible offer or in any way restrain or restrict competition. On the contrary, all responsible firms are encouraged to submit proposals. TechConnectWV reserves the right to accept or reject any or all proposals submitted.
This RFP does not commit TechConnectWV to any specific course of action. While TechConnectWV may intend to give notice of acceptance to a respondent, it does not bind TechConnectWV to purchase any service or product until a formal contract is executed between TechConnectWV and the respondent.
Technical questions concerning this Request for Proposal should be directed to Anne Barth, TechConnectWV Executive Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Anne Barth, Executive Director
TechConnectWV (TCWV) desires to engage a professional service firm to be responsible for program management of the Scope of Work for its project entitled NextUp West Virginia, overseeing day-to-day operations of programs and activities, collecting and measuring data for accurate assessment of impact, and other duties as need. Preference will be given to West Virginia-based firms.
Mission of TCWV
TCWV is a coalition of professionals dedicated to growing and diversifying West Virginia’s economy by advancing innovation-based economic development. The organization is a 501(c)3 nonprofit corporation with broad membership from the private, public, higher education, research, and nonprofit sectors. TCWV was created to facilitate the growth of West Virginia’s technology economy and the commercialization of research innovations developed across the state.
The formation and vision for TCWV was based upon three key facts:
- Technology drives national and state economic growth in the United States and provides critical economic diversity
- Technology-based economic development leads to higher-paying jobs than activities in many other economic sectors
- Creation of higher-paying jobs will support growth in every sector of the state economy and will benefit all West Virginians
TCWV’s goals are to diversify the state’s economy, spur creation of high-wage jobs in high-growth industries, and promote economic prosperity.
With the assistance of the Battelle Institute, TCWV identified four areas of technology that are best suited for development in the state: Advanced Energy, Biometrics, Biotechnology, and Chemicals and Advanced Materials. Blueprints detailing strategies and actions for each platform are available on TCWV’s website, www.techconnectwv.org.
Scope of Work & Deliverables
In cooperation with the Executive Director of TCWV, the Program Manager shall be responsible for deployment of the Scope of Work for NextUp West Virginia, overseeing day-to-day operations of programs and activities under the grant, collecting and measuring data for accurate assessment of impact, and other duties as needed, through September 28, 2019.
The selected firm will be required to have available personnel who have been successful in the professional services and activities of grant program management and implementation. As directed by TCWV, the services shall include the following:
- Responsible for managing NextUp West Virginia, a two-year program funded by the U.S. Economic Development Administration and the Claude Worthington Benedum Foundation.
- Responsible to analyze plans and progress and coordinate with the project leads (partner and sub-awardee) to assure that expectations are met.
- Develops integrated project plans, implementation of project schedules, and project reports.
- Deliverables will include, but are not limited to a work plan, Project Management tools (including Gant chart, calendar, and other tools as needed) and reports.
- Coordinates and facilitates project scheduling as needed, and events and meetings.
- Coordinates with technical leads of partner organizations and sub-awardees to ensure project progresses on schedule as planned.
- Prepares project status and progress reports a required under the grant guidelines and/or TCWV and keeps the team, management, and designated others, including the Executive Director of TCWV, informed in a timely manner of any emerging project risks or other issues.
- Creates a project documentation plan and ensures that all is complete and accurate.
- Manages billing, invoices, and payments on timely schedule, working through required processes of grant award.
- Prepares payment drawdown requests through the Department of Treasury’s Automated Standard Application for Payments (ASAP).
- Other program management duties, as requested.
Contracting with the selected firm is envisioned by or before January 31, 2019. TCWV staff will work with the selected firm to develop priorities for completion and a final, detailed timeline. The work will conclude within 30 days after September 28, 2019.
TCWV is seeking an experienced program manager with the following qualifications:
- Provide the professional background of the entity and the experience of each administrative and/or project staff person that will be assigned to this project;
- Capability to perform the work on schedule and on budget;
- Management capacity, knowledge, skills, and experience to oversee the implementation of program components;
- Experience with program/project implementation;
- Knowledge of and experience working with technology-based economic development is a plus.
At minimum, proposals shall include the following information:
- Response to the Eligibility Requirements set forth above;
- An estimate of the level of effort the required activities will require;
- Anticipated fee schedule to undertake the role of program manager and an estimated budget;
- Commitment to work in TCWV’s offices (1740 Union Carbide Drive, South Charleston, WV) on a mutually-agreed-upon frequency and schedule, to be developed with TCWV leadership;
- Relevant experience on similar projects and how those might relate to this RFP;
- Two references from clients that have worked with the entity in the last 3 years.
Review of Proposals
Proposals will be reviewed by TCWV’s Executive Committee. Providers will be evaluated based on the criteria established herein. An interview may be required upon TCWV’s discretion. Proposals using subcontractors to fulfill elements of this overall project will be considered; however, the respondent is solely responsible for the financial commitment, oversight, performance and quality assurance of any subcontractors they utilize in the fulfillment of this contract.
Right to Reject Proposal
Submission of a proposal indicates acceptance by the proposing firm of the terms and conditions stated herein unless any exception is clearly and specifically noted in the letter of transmittal of the RFP. Any such exception must be mutually agreed upon by the consultant and the requesting entity in any final contract.
- The RFP is intended to provide enough information to respond to the RFP, but it is the Respondent’s responsibility to obtain additional information deemed necessary to provide a complete and effective event management plan for TCWV. It is the responsibility of the Respondent to ensure all information contained within the response is accurate and reliable.
- TCWV shall have the right to reject or accept any proposal or offer, or any part thereof (e.g., any component of any proposed solution) for any reason whatsoever, and to accept other than the lowest offer, at its sole discretion.
- Solicitation by TCWV of proposals does not constitute an agreement by TCWV to extend funding to any party for the project under consideration. TCWV may, in its sole discretion, elect not to pursue this project in any manner.
- Any recommendations or conclusions from this RFP process concerning the service provider shall not constitute a right (property or otherwise). By submitting a proposal, the service provider agrees to waive any right it may have to bring any claim, whether in damages or equity, against TCWV, its agents, employees and members, with respect to any matter arising out of any process associated with this RFP.
- By submitting a proposal, each applicant grants to TCWV the right to duplicate, use, disclose, and distribute all of the materials submitted for purposes of evaluation, review, and research.
- TCWV is not responsible for loss or damage to the material submitted, or for any unauthorized use or misuse of the submitted materials by and third party. Any submission to TCWV shall become the property of TCWV (not including any intellectual property rights contained in such submission), and TCWV is not required to return any submitted materials to any applicant.
- TCWV is not liable for any costs incurred by any service provider prior to signing a contract by all parties concerned. TCWV will not be liable for any costs incurred in replying to this request for proposals.